Blogger Clean Cravings (@CleanCravings.Blog) Brings a Healthy Touch to your Tailgate with their Turkey Slow Cooker Chili Recipe
I don’t know about you, but when I think about football season, I think delicious, hearty, warming classic chili. Tailgate foods don’t have to necessarily break the diet bank. This easy game day recipe calls for ground turkey, but trust me, does not skimp on taste! To keep the dish on the healthy side, top with non fat greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) or reduced fat shredded cheese, sliced avocados or jalapenos, chives or cilantro, or tortilla chips. Side note, do not avoid adding the cocoa powder, as I find that adding cocoa powder is key in order to add dimension and depth to the chili.
This chili can be made in advance, and in fact, I find that chili tastes even better the next day.
- Olive oil pan spray
- 2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken if preferred)
- 1 diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can of sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 8 ounce cans of tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Time needed: 3 hours.
Prep & Cook
- Turkey Prep
Heat the pan with olive oil spray in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, and season with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook breaking up the meat with a spoon, until browned and no longer pink.
- Add Turkey To Slow Cooker
Add the turkey into a 5-6 quart slow cooker, along with all remaining ingredients.
- Stir & Cook
Stir to combine, cook on LOW for 6 hours, or HIGH for 3.
- Taste & Season
Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as fit, and garish with anything you would like